in the banks of the Guadalete River which means
"River of the Forgetfulness", lays the
historic city of El Puerto de Santa María.
Foundation of the city is attributed to an Athenian
leader in the days of the Trojan War named Menesteo
who upon his arrival at the banks of the river
named it "The Port of Menesteo".
In the 13th century, King Alfonso El Sabio, conquered
the city and renamed it with the Christian name of "Santa
María del Puerto".
In the Middle Ages the economic activity of El Puerto
de Santa María was primarily devoted to: fisheries,
salt and wines; the latter yielding so many benefits that
the Duke exempted this commercial activity from any taxes.
Puerto de Santa María played a very important
role in the discovery of America as the first
voyage of Christopher Columbus was financed by
the Duke of Medinacelli, Lord of El Puerto de
Santa María. Following voyages to the Americas
sailed from El Puerto de Santa María.
Likewise, the first World Map is attributed to Juan de
la Cosa in 1500, a local of El Puerto de Santa María,
Cartographer and Pilot of the Santa María Caravel.
Following the discovery of America, the wealth of the
city increased by means of the commercial traffic established
with the Indies and by the settlement of families of Cargadores
Click on the image
to open our photo gallery section